This is our journal about our happy, little rural life... our daily adventures and mishaps as we live in this modern society, with all of its wonder & horror. We are g r o w i n g each day; learning to live happier lives, making c h a n g e s that will effect ours & our children's future.

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Cloth Diapers: Aplix vs. Snaps

After recently having to make a change in our cloth diaper stash, I thought I'd give a quick, personal review of cloth diaper closures- Aplix vs. Snaps.  I've tried several different brands and styles of diapers over the years, but the closures all had the same issues regardless of brand.

SNAPS:
Snaps are by far my favorite closure type because of their durability.  Typically, they will outlast the PUL lining and the elastics.  I've only had two damaged snaps...  One popped out of the fabric of a Bum Genius 4.0 pocket, but the diaper remained very functional.  The other one, on a Thirsties Duo wrap,  refused to snap together.  Both of these issues occurred after a crazy amount of use, however.  Snaps are typically harder for a baby to open, keeping the diaper on baby.  This closure type can be carelessly thrown in the hamper, without closing laundry tabs.  I find that I still get a great fit around the waist with snaps, too.  The only downfall I've personally had with snaps (and I've heard the same story from other moms) is that grandmas, childcare providers, babysitters, etc. have a much harder time with snaps.  They look more confusing & less like disposable diapers, so people tend to get turned off by them.  If they don't secure them with a proper fit, you will get leaks and more dirty clothing.

APLIX:
Although I prefer Snaps, Aplix closure definitley has had it's purpose in our stash.  Aplix gives the best fit around the waist for babies, especially small babies.  When poopies are still runny, this helps tremendously.  Aplix is also quicker to secure, making it easier to put on a squirmy 5 month old!  This closure looks a lot like the typical disposable diaper, so grandmas, childcare givers, babysitters etc are not so intimidated by the cloth diaper.  There was also a time I used aplix closure diapers on my potty-training son.  I had such horrible luck with trainers leaking and was very tired of the messes.  Since he could open the aplix closures and sit on the potty when he needed to, it worked great!  No, it didn't work as a "pull-up", but I'd always go to the bathroom with him anyway & putting his diaper back on wasn't much trouble for me.  (I have tried to refain from stay-dry pockets during potty training, preferring prefolds & flats so he can feel the wetness).  It is easy, however, for an 8 month old to remove his own diaper too.  Finding a diaper laying amongst the toys near a baby in a puddle of pee is not good!  Snaps fixed that!  Aplix closures also need to have the laundry tabs secured before washing, to prevent damage.  Aplix, in any brand we've tried, is far less durable than snaps- closure tabs will often be curled and no longer sticky when the PUL and elastics are still in great shape.  Repair kits can easily be applied by some sewing mommas or by hiring a seamstress.  Although my husband repaired one of our aplix pocket diapers, I didn't feel like it was worth the effort to keep repairing them all.  


No comments:

Post a Comment