This is our journal about our happy, little rural life... our daily adventures and mishaps as we live in this modern society, with all of its wonder & horror. We are g r o w i n g each day; learning to live happier lives, making c h a n g e s that will effect ours & our children's future.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

3rd Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge: Day 4

Today, we are asked to report on our handwashing experience thus far.  Like I said before, I've been using flats and line drying since forever.  Hand washing, however, was my challenge.  Overall, handwashing is a bit of a chore, but totally attainable.  I feel great about being able to efficiently hand wash our clothes and diapers since we live in South Texas, minutes from the Gulf of Mexico.  Hurricane season usually leaves us without power, often for hours or days at a time. 

Although I realize it's physically easier to wash only a few diapers at a time several times throughout the day, I just haven't had that kind of time to sit in the bathroom and hover over the diaper wash, leaving the kids somewhat unattended.  During a mere 1.5 minute potty break yesterday, I came out to find my nearly 3 year old literally fishing in our fish aquarium and my 4 year old had brought his bottle of mosquito larvae inside to make a habitat for them.  Not cool.  Not at all.  Therefore, I primarily wash my diapers early in the morning, and then let them sit in the bucket until it's time to take the kids outside to play.  We usually head outside about 10am, because by that time breakfast is over, dishes are washed, laundry work is under way, and we are ready for a break from the preschool work.


I've been using Nellie's Washing Soda for about 2 months now. It's been wonderful, but it's amazing now that I'm handwashing! That has to be why I've had such an easy time washing...
I place my 5 gallon bucket (camp-style washer) into my shower, add all the diapers and fill completely with hot water. I let them soak for about 2-3 minutes (while I brush my teeth).   I pour it all out and then add only a managable amount of diapers (about 5 diapers, a cover, and several wipes) and enough hot water to cover them completely. I use the plunger with holes drilled in it to aggitate the diapers for only about 1 minute. Then, I wring them dry, placing them aside as I go, and continue until all diapers are rinsed.   Pour out the rinse water.  I then place a managable amount of diapers into the bucket again, fill just over 3/4 full with hot water and add about 1/4tsp of Nellie's washing soda. I aggitate them for about 3 minutes with the plunger, wring them dry, and set them aside.  Wash the remaining diapers (usually another 5, plus a couple covers & wipes), and wring dry.  I then place all diapers back in the bucket, fill with hot water, aggitate for about 30 seconds or so.  Wring them all dry as hard as I can (yes, my hands are sore by now), and I'm done.  They smell and look completely clean.

Hand washing diapers using our camp-style washer in the shower.

I've also hand washed our overnight diapers like this and they turn out great too!  For overnight, I primarily use a small pad-folded flat or prefold placed inside a large prefold, fasten with a Snappi and cover with a wool or fleece soaker.  Another nighttime diaper I just recently tried & love is the KaWaii Good Night Heavy Wetter one-size pocket diaper.  There several thick microfiber terry inserts that go inside.  No leaks, keeps bottoms dry all night, and fits my baby and my nearly 3 year old!  I wish I had these for my oldest son- I would have saved so much money opposed to buying disposable pull-ups for nighttime!  I hand washed and line dried the prefolds and this KaWaii GNHW pocket diaper and it was great!  I'm totally impressed!

Line drying diapers outside.  Obviously, this is the preferred method.  Quicker drying time, sun bleaches any stains, and it doubles as outside play time.

Little G is always helping me.  This picture was taken a week or so before the challenge, hence the prefolds.
Ready for bed in her WAHM-made wool shorties over a Geffen Baby pad-folded hemp jersey flat,  laid in a prefold, & secured with a Snappi. 
Last night, however, I decided to wash a load of diapers before I took a shower.  I had planned on putting the whole accordion rack in the shower to drip, but then I realized I still needed to take a shower and the air circulation is terrible in the bathroom.  So I moved the rack under a ceiling fan, and placed a towel underneath to catch the water drippings.  By 6am, they were still damp, but by 8am, they were dry.  Outside, these hand washed diapers dry in about an hour (I live in windy, hot South Texas- the perfect place for drying clothes outside).
Line drying diapers inside.  The new fleece liners I made air dry in a snap!




Read more about this awesome diaper challenge here:
Dirty Diaper Laundry 3rd Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge



 

No comments:

Post a Comment