This is our journal about our happy, little rural life... our daily adventures and mishaps as we live in this modern society, with all of its wonder & horror. We are g r o w i n g each day; learning to live happier lives, making c h a n g e s that will effect ours & our children's future.

Friday, May 24, 2013

3rd Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge: Day 5

So... a small stomach virus put a whole new twist on the diaper hand washing challenge!  The combination of a stomach virus and cloth diapers is always a chore, especially since I don't have a diaper sprayer at the toilet.... but when each diaper must be hand washed & dried- I think I just earned myself a glass of wine tonight!  She's already showing improvement, so I'm sure she'll be better soon.  It's always heartbreaking when the kiddos are sick.

Thus far during this challenge, I've found that cloth diapering with flats and covers, hand washing, and line drying works great- it just takes a little extra effort and time.  Nothing worthwhile comes easily, though.  I'm loving my Nellie's Laundry Soda for hand washing, and because it's non-toxic and biodegradable, I could use it while camping.  I've found that air drying these hand wrung diapers indoors leaves them stiff and rough, much more that line drying outdoors.  Plus, I prefer the faster drying time outdoors.  I do realize drying diapers outdoors isn't an option for a lot of people, and that's why I dried them indoors a few times.

I am looking forward to using my washing machine again.  I'll have to wait until we finish building our house to use a dryer again.  I sure do miss my big, fluffy bath towels.  Very soon, hopefully!


Drying diapers and regular laundry on this warm & breezy morning.





Read more about this awesome diaper challenge here:
Dirty Diaper Laundry 3rd Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment